If you are a cat owner, you might be thinking that a list of Top 3 Best Dry Cat Foods for Urinary Health is not of importance to you. Here is a quick fact for you: YOU ARE WRONG! Most people underestimate the potential of their cat facing urinary tract problems. It is a common problem that occurs in cats, and can even tend to be fatal taking the life of your cat. Yes, it’s the life of your precious Snuffles that might be at stake.
It is a problem that should be taken seriously. Urinary tract problems can cause immediate changes in the behavior of your cat, causing it to be in constant pain. It should be treated as soon as symptoms are spotted. If it is left untreated for long, you are going to regret it later. WebMD states that urinary tract infection in a cat is a very problematic issue, and requires urgent treatment.
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the buttons above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
How to Identify If Your Cat is Facing Urinary Tract Problems ?
If you cat has already gotten Urinary Tract problems, there are various changes in the cat that can help you to identify it. If you note any or some of these changes, you should take the cat to the vet immediately. Even in the absence of these symptoms, it is a good idea to get the cat checked up from time to time.
The symptoms of Urinary Tract Problems are :
- Cat shows an inability to urinate or only a little amount of urine is passed
- Urine containing blood or cloudiness
- Dribbling urine (loss of bladder control)
- Increase in the frequency of urination
- Fear of the litter box, and soiling in inappropriate places
- Licking of urinary opening now and then
- The urine smells of ammonia
- Increase in water consumption
- Hard and distended abdomen
- Crying in pain when trying to urinate
There are some very scary symptoms you wouldn’t want your cat to suffer. Don’t even get me started on what happens if the urinary problems in the cat are left untreated? That would be very horrifying for you to know. This is why regular visits to the vet are recommended. And this is the reason why cat food for urinary health is so important.
- Watch this video to find out if your cat has urinary tract infection.
Why do Cats Face Urinary Tract Problems ?
There are several issues that can lead to your cat facing Urinary Tract Problems. The cause of most of these is unrelated to how you treat the cat, but more to what you feed it. With adequate care, you can prevent Urinary Tract problems to a huge extent. Providing a cat with proper cat food that is good for urinary tract can be a huge step in this regard.
The concern towards Urinary Tract health is one of the reasons we have drafted a list of top 3 best dry cat foods for urinary tract wellness. We want to help cat owners choose what is best for their pet.
Here are few of the common problems that can lead to cats suffering Urinary tract problems.
- Urethra accumulated with stones, crystals or debris
- Urine accumulating the debris
- Inflammation or infection of the bladder
- Injury to the urinary tract
- Problems in the spinal cord
- Congenital abnormality
Difference between Dry Cat Food for Urinary Health and Normal Dry Cat Food
There is a noticeable difference between the dry cat food for urinary health and dry cat food that is commonly used. The dry cat food for urinary health restricts all those compounds that can lead to urinary blockages or formation of stones inside the urethra of cats.
Further, some of these foods can increase the quantity of urine that is passed by the cat. This, in turn, increases the dissolution of harmful and toxic substances in the urethra. The normal dry cat food is just manufactured keeping in mind the nutrition prospect of the cat, without considering the urinary damages it could do.
What to look for in Cat Urinary Tract Health Food Products ?
If your cat is facing urinary tract problems, or even if it’s not and you want to prevent it, it is essential you give it proper food that is good for its urinary tract health.
Cat foods rich in magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, and proteins have been found to be the cause of stone formation. Many specialized vets follow the opinion that if you feed a cat with a limited amount of these minerals, it will help to dissolve the stones present in the cat’s urinary tract. Balanced nutrition is important for the healthy life of pets.
Important Note When Buying a Urinary Tract Health Product
It is important to note that different cats function differently. The urinary tract cat food products are designed to improve the urinary tract health of the cats, but different cats can react differently to these products. Therefore, it is necessary that you see a vet before you get to buy these products. A vet prescription is necessary before the purchase of Urinary Tract products.
Top 3 Cat Dry Foods for Urinary Health
1. ROYAL CANIN Feline Urinary SO Dry
ROYAL CANIN products aren’t a strange name among pet owners. If you own a dog or a cat, you know Royal Canin for sure. However, Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO Dry is a very popular product in itself among cats owner who worry about their cat’s urinary tract problems.
Though the ROYAL CANIN Feline Urinary SO Dry is very effective against prevention and treatment of urinary tract problems, it has a higher cost as compared to many of its competitors (even twice or thrice the cost of some).
- ROYAL CANIN Feline Urinary SO Dry contains ingredients that increase the volume of urine in the cat, which lead to dilution of minerals that cause the kidney stone.
- Also, the product contains compounds that cause the dissolution of struvite uroliths in the cat.
- It also boosts up sodium chloride and potassium levels to further increase the urine volume.
- Further, the magnesium, calcium, oxalate, and phosphorous are restricted as they have been linked to urinary tract problems in the cat.
- ROYAL CANIN Feline Urinary SO Dry also has boosted omega-3 fatty acids that prevent inflammation of the urinary tract.
- The dissolution of struvite uroliths makes the ROYAL CANIN a treatment product as well, along with the preventive products. This is because not only does it avoid the cat from having future problems, it can solve the problems that have already occurred to dissolve and breakdown.
- Very high cost as compared to competitors.
2. Purina ONE Dry Cat Food
Purina One Dry Cat Food is designed for better urinary tract health of a cat, and to provide better nutrition. It is a very cheaper alternative to the Royal Canin urinary tract health cat foods. The Purina One Dry Cat Food is made with real chicken. It has zero filler quantity. Also, it offers 31 gram of protein per cup.
If you wonder the amount of it would you cat need, the 16 lb bag of Purina can make somewhere around 65 cups. Assuming you feed your cat 2/3 cups per day, one 16 lb bag can last around 97 days (3 months).
- Very low cost as compared to Royan Canin.
- High protein to keep the pet active.
- It offers less efficiency in urinary health as compared to Royal Canin.
- It doesn’t do anything to the stones that might exist already in Urethra.
3. Wysong Uretic Feline Diet
Wysong Uretic Feline Diet is another cheap competitor to the list. It almost costs one-third to the Royal Canine food. It is made of fresh and whole ingredients and contains a wide spectrum of multi-nutrients. There are high levels of frozen and dried meats and organs. It contains 36% protein and 16% fats.
No artificial additives or non-nutritional ingredients are added to the product. It is very palatable and is made to support the urinary health of the pets. Cats of all age and sizes and can consume Wysong Uretic Feline Diet. One of the best things about Wysong is that cats absolutely love the taste of it.
- It is one of the cheapest Urinary health product available in the market.
- It has good protein and fat balance which provides proper nutrition to the cat.
- It tends to be very tasty for cats.
- It is a preventive medicine but doesn’t do anything for the stones that exist already.
Related: Best Cat Food for Smelly Poop
It is clear that even though ROYAL CANIN is quite a bit costlier than the other two products, the high cost is bringing along better quality and efficiency with it. The proper mineral composition helps the cat be on a balanced diet. Further, it focuses on the increase in the urine production in the cat which is also a major benefit. More urine production means better health for the urinary tract.
The dissolution of struvite uroliths is another major factor to be considered. Other products in the list do not offer that. And it is necessary to keep the stones that have already developed in the cat at check.
We do understand that price can indeed be a major factor for some people. If the cat is fit and healthy, other two products can work well for it as well. They are considerably cheaper than the ROYAL CANIN.
But if you are concerned about the health of your feline a lot, and only want the best for it, we would suggest going with the ROYAL CANIN Feline Urinary SO Dry. Many vets also suggest it.
Remember to consult your vet about the urinary health of the cat and get his recommendation. These products might require you to submit a scanned copy of the vet’s prescription.
- What do you think about our Top 3 Best Dry Cat Foods for Urinary Health ? Let us know. You can leave a comment below. Have any suggestions or you feel like we missed your favourite entry? Contact us now!